14 January 2014

The Animator & the Makeup Artist

Hi everyone!

First of all, thank you so much for stopping by my new blog Makeup and Beauty By Amy.

This blog is designed to be a companion to my Youtube Channel MakeupandBeautybyAmy and my Facebook Page of the same name. Click the links above for access to both sites.

I guess before I get into my intended (and first) beauty blog, I just wanted to let you all know a little bit about me! :)

Ever since I was little I have always loved to draw and paint and really use whatever I could get my hands on as a creative outlet. From a young age I wanted to be an animator with Walt Disney Studios and at the tender age of 17, that dream felt as if it would become reality when I was accepted into one of Ireland's top animating schools. I was so excited!!! .. But animation was a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I would spend endless hours drawing, sketching, improving my skills and I began to feel myself being torn away from my passion as it slowly became an immense task, a chore I began to feel I would never fully enjoy. I realised after two years of study that if I continued to pursue a career in Animation, I would lose all love for the subject and that is something I did not want to happen!

After two amazing years in BCFE I finally plucked up the courage to leave in 2007, a decision which while I knew was the best choice for me, still left a gaping creative emptiness in my heart. 


In the years that followed I went on to complete a degree in History and Medieval Irish and Celtic Studies in the amazing NUIM. I also did a lot of freelance work and discovered my talent for creative room painting, decorating childrens nurseries and schools with their favourite cartoon characters as well as some commissioned work. I would often sit helping family friends amongst others create successful portfolios for art colleges around the country, and it was at that time slowly but surely, my creative passion began to dwindle and I started to distance myself from art completely.

A Nursery Mural I did in 2011 for a friend inspired by Looney Toons and Liverpool

I came into a time in my life when I felt that I had failed in so many things there was no point in trying anymore or even expanding on those long lost talents.

My first encounter with makeup really occured in 2008 shortly after I was involved in a small accident which resulted in several weeks of sitting at home in a leg cast. For the first time in forever, I felt I finally had some time to me. I began to explore the vastness of the internet and it was also a time when I became interested in Youtube. I came across a couple of makeup videos sure, but I can honestly say I had never really been interested in makeup. I can never recall noticing someones makeup and thinking "wow that looks really beautiful", even sitting here writing this now .. and I know it sounds so awful to say - but the only makeup I ever noticed at that time was "badly done" makeup. Then I seen this video > Easy Rainbow Eyes - xSparkage

After watching Leesha, and seeing the passion she had and just how expertly she used colour amazed me. It brought me right back to art college - colour charting ... tones ... application ... everything! It was all the same .. just this medium .. was makeup instead of paint! Painting was always my favourite class so naturally seeing how bold and beautiful all these colours were immediatley caught my attention. 

Seeing Leesha's "Rainbow Eyes" video, may not seem significant to many, but to me it opened up a whole new world of possibilities.  It gave me insight to an industry I knew very little about and the artistic potential I never knew I had. It made me realise that there is so much more to art then I thought there was. 

It has been almost six years since I first watched that video and here I am today writing this blog as a companion to a slowly growing Youtube and Facebook audience and I am so excited to embark on this new adventure with you all!

Thank you for all of your support and sharing this journey with me.


x Amy

Makeup & Beauty by Amy

No comments :

Post a Comment