19 March 2014

My SIMPLE Skincare

Today I wanted to talk to you about my experience with some of the skincare range available from Simple.






I have always struggled with my skin. From a very young age I suffered from very severe acne all over my forehead and chin. I tried a range of acne products from Clearasil to Benzyl Peroxide creams but always found the harshness of these spot-killing chemicals either made it worse or tightened my skin. My inexperience with a skin care routine caused me to "experiment" with a wide range of products which only caused more and more damage over time.

It wasn't until my late teens that my acne started to calm down and I began to understand that it wasn't my skincare routine that was causing my acne - but hormones. I was simply aggravating my skin through the use of harsh spot treatments and forgetting that I needed to replenish and take care of it. I never wore sun cream, I never moisturised or toned. I simply did not understand my skins needs and put the importance of getting rid of my spots first.

Today I suffer from very dry skin which I believe is as a direct result of my experimentation with spot treatments but I am lucky enough to have very minimal scarring from my acne experience. I still get acne breakouts today but rather than panic and try to hide them - I embrace them, I have learned how to conceal them properly without aggravating or spreading the bacteria and I have learned to understand more about what my skin needs. Your skin - after all - is your largest organ, so if we focus so much on maintaining a healthy heart and healthy digestion through exercise and diet, technically we should focus on healthy skin too - shouldn't we? ;)

If you would be interested in me doing a blog about my diet and skincare experience I would love to know in the comments - but for today I just want to talk about my recent daily skincare regime using the Simple range by Unilever. 

I use the majority of the products I'm going to talk about pretty much every single day and I can honestly say that there has been a noticeable difference in the condition of my skin since I started using purely Simple products just over two months ago.

My honest decision to start using Simple was as a result of the fact I was a bit low on cash and wanted to start an inexpensive skincare routine coming into Spring. Winter had left my skin quite dry and damaged and I was getting more and more frustrated with my makeup application daily as this was picking up the dryness quite badly.

I was shopping in Tesco with my husband one night and I noticed the Simple range was on offer at 33% off. What I like most about this range is the guarantee of essential skin revitalising vitamins, no artificial perfumes, colours or harsh chemicals. Given my skin history this option was perfect for me as I do break out quite badly with certain products. 

Here are some of the products I purchased and have been loving since then:

1. Simple Kind To Skin Vital Vitamin Foaming Cleanser





Why did you buy it? 
I bought the foaming cleanser because I was drawn to the fact that it is marketed as a very mild face wash. Since I needed more moisture the promise of added moisturisers in this cleanser was very appealing. 

When do you use it?
I use this cleanser every single day. I would generally only complete a full skincare routine at night as I feel all the essential natural oils that your body makes overnight help to keep my skin moisturised through the day. However, this cleanser is mild enough that you could use it twice a day without affecting the moisture of your skin. 

Any adverse reactions / issues?
None

Verdict:
This is the perfect cleanser for those who are in a rush and want to freshen up their skin without the need to scrub incessantly. The result is soft refreshed skin that won't break the budget.

Price Range:
€5 - €10

2. Simple Kind to Skin Smoothing Facial Scrub





Why did you buy it?
Since the cleanser is quite mild, I wanted a product that would help to exfoliate my skin and take away dead skin cells with being too harsh. I decided on the "Smoothing Facial Scrub with Rice Granules". 

When do you use it?
I use the facial scrub only once a week as directed. I usually use it as part of my routine on a Sunday night and that way my skin is revatalised and fresh for the week ahead. I feel that using the scrub (on my skin in particular) more than once a week could cause it to dry out more since this is an exfoliator.

Any adverse reaction / issues?
Slight tightness of skin after application. But once used in conjunction with the rest of my skincare routine - no issues.

Verdict:
This is a really beautiful facial scrub. My skin looked noticably brighter and healthier after each application and my breakouts since I started using it have been very minimal.

Price Range:
Less than €5

3. Simple Kind to Skin Soothing Facial Toner




Why did you buy it?
I purchased the toner purely because I knew I would need one if I was going to embark on a daily skincare routine and actually stick to it this time! The funny thing - this toner turns out to be my favourite part of my skincare regime! The irony! ;)

When do you use it?
I use the toner twice a day because I LOVE how refreshed and cool it makes my face feel. My face tends to be quite red after I wash it, particularly after I have scrubbed it and gone through a regimented routine and this toner truly is soothing. I love just soaking  my cotton pad and slowly pressing it all over my face. It really reminds me of the misty freshness you feel when you walk through water misters while you are on holidays in a hot country!
It feels super moisturising after application and my skin is always beautifully soft.

Any adverse reactions / issues?
None

Verdict:
By far my FAVOURITE of all the Simple products I have tried!

Price Range:
Less than €5

4. Simple Kind to Skin Hydrating Moisturiser



Why did you buy it?
I needed a new moisturiser since running out of my favourite (Soap and Glory For Daily Youth) which comes with a pretty hefty price tag. Since I was choosing all simple products I decided to complete my routine by adding this moisturiser.

When do you use it?
I use it twice a day, once under my makeup in the morning and before bed at night since I haven't had a chance to pick up a night time moisturiser yet.

Any adverse reactions / issues?
None.

Verdict:
While I don't find this moisturiser AS moisturising as other brands I have used it does what it says. It is a hydrating light moisturiser. I experienced no heavy-ness or tacky-ness as I have experienced from other moisturisers I have used in the past which I feel can often contribute to breakouts. While I do need to add a bit more than normal, once I leave the moisturiser to set into my skin for a good 10 minutes before makeup application I have no issues with its moisturising properties :)

Price Range:
Less than €5

So that's it for today. A quick look at some of the products from Simple I have been enjoying using over the past few weeks.

Simple is available from Boots, Tesco and other good supermarkets and pharmacies across Ireland.

Until next time, embrace your beautiful x
Signature photo Signature_zps98b94e16.png

1 comment :

  1. Acne is a long battle. But having a good understanding about your skin type and the factors that can influence an acne breakout will definitely be a huge help to stop it. With that knowledge, you can easily determine the right skin care products to use. And it’s good to know that you already found one that is effective and affordable.

    Chantel Fett @ Knight and Sanders

    ReplyDelete