14 November 2014

Aloe Aloe ;) My pampering weekend with Forever Aloe

Gosh! I've missed posting here! 

Halloween gets unbelievably busy for me each year so apologies for my absence! Speaking of Halloween, a few of you may be familiar with the sheer abundance of makeup I applied creating various creepy looks for my Youtube channel over the month of October.

Well, to say my skin was in need of saving coming into November is an understatement! While the majority of the makeup I apply is hypoallergenic - I did need to do something to bring back some hydration and target a few problem areas.

That is why I was delighted when a friend of mine Sara Nolan who runs her own Forever Aloe business, was kind enough to contact me and offer me a trial of the Sonya Skincare range as well as some other goodies from the Forever Aloe range.



You may have seen some of Forever Aloe's products at various markets and fairs across Ireland. The company has actually been operating since 1978. Like many good things, it takes a while for products like this to reach popularity in the Irish market but having been personally familiar with the many beneficial properties of Aloe Vera before discovering this company, I was excited to give some of the products a try. 

I am one of those people who tends to steer towards clean living as much as possible and I have always had a handy supply of Aloe Vera gel in my cupboard for "emergency" situations. Forever Living however teaches you that there are so many more benefits and applications than we previously thought for Aloe Vera.

Did you know that "Aloe Vera contains over 75 known active ingredients (and probably many more). Also included are 19 of the 20 amino acids required by the human body and 7 of the 8 essential amino acids (that the body cannot make), as well as vitamins and minerals." - Forever Living website

Forever Living was also "the first company to receive the prestigious International Aloe Science Council Seal of Approval for consistency and purity."

You can read more about Forever Living Products by visiting their website.


Lets talk about some of the products I tested out from the Forever Living Skincare Kit.

Here is some information from the pamphlet that comes with the collection. I only had the trial kit for three nights so unfortunately I did not have a chance to try everything but I will give you a sort of "first impressions" on what I did try and what I can see myself purchasing.






FIRST IMPRESSIONS

SONYA EYE MAKEUP REMOVER

I used this non oil based eye makeup remover each night and it was a really beautifully formula. It was not heavily scented like most other eye makeup removers and I found it did as good a job as oil based eye makeup removers which is great for me! Oil based eye makeup removers remove EVERYTHING in one sweep - even waterproof makeup. The problem with many oil based removers is that they can be very heavy and leave a film of oil across your lids which can essentially clog the sensitive pores around your eyes.

This eye makeup remover is incredibly refreshing - almost like a toner for your eyes. My eyes felt clean, refreshed and moisturised after using this product. 

PRICE RANGE: €10+
WOULD I BUY IT? Yes
WOULD I RECOMMEND IT? Yes


SONYA ALOE PURIFYING CLEANSER

I used this cleanser each day in place of my normal cleanser during my nightly routine. Again, I felt that this was a beautiful non-oily formula. My skin felt refreshed and moisturised and I hadn't even started my full routine yet!

There was definitely a citrus like smell from this product but it was by no means overpowering or sickly. It was quite soothing and relaxing and reminiscent of indulgent Spa treatments I've had on holidays. 

PRICE RANGE: €30+
WOULD I BUY IT? No. I feel that €30 is a little expensive for a cleanser purely from the point of view that I apply so much makeup! I would definitely run out of this stuff fast! While I don't deny that the benefits of purchasing this product outweigh the reasons not to - I feel that there are other products in this range that would be more worth the money as an addition to your skincare collection.
WOULD I RECOMMEND IT? Yes 


SONYA ALOE DEEP CLEANSING EXFOLIATOR

I only used this product once as I would generally only really exfoliate twice a week as per my normal routine. Normally I find the little crystals in exfoliating cleansers uncomfortable but this product again was beautiful to use. Usually the facial scrubs I use contain rice granules, but it is the jojoba* beads in this product that I felt made the difference. 

*Quick fact. When we are younger our skin creates what is know as "wax esters". As we age the production of this slows down and can result in tighter less moisturised skin. Jojoba is a natural ingredient which produces "plant wax esters" instead of "plant oil". Therefore it is a great natural substitute for the lack of "wax ester" in older skin and is incredibly moisturising.

So not only does this cleansing exfoliator "exfoliate" - it also replaces lost moisture in the process. Normally I find my skin can feel quite tight after using normal exfoliators, but again, once I had rinsed my face, it felt soft, refreshed and moisturised.

PRICE RANGE: €25+
WOULD I BUY IT? Yes.
WOULD I RECOMMEND IT? Yes. Especially for people with tight, dry skin like mine.


ALOE MARINE MASK

I'm just going to start this one by saying I LOVE FACE MASKS .. So I have tried a lot! I usually buy the peel off ones from Boots as I find they work best for unclogging my pores. When I seen this in the trial kit I was so surprised that I was the first to try it. It was actually one of the first things I tried!

What I think I love most about applying face masks is the whole zen like procedure of making sure I apply it evenly etc. This is up there with my top 3 face masks I have ever used!

First of all it smells WONDERFUL. From the second you start applying it to your skin you can smell that beautiful Spa like smell that's reminiscent of sea treatments but again not too overpowering. It had all the cooling properties of a cold cream and it was super refreshing to apply. I could definitely feel it having a an effect as I spread it on my face and neck. As per instructions, I left the mask on for 20 minutes before rinsing. It does harden but it had a pretty much natural colour so no more embarrassing bright green face masks after your shower! 

My skin felt incredible, rejuvenated and refreshed after this one! Five stars!

PRICE RANGE: €20+
WOULD I BUY IT? YES YES YES
WOULD I RECOMMEND IT? No. Just kidding! Yes!! It's a beautiful formula and would make a wonderful gift to other "mask" lovers like me! :)


SONYA ALOE NOURISHING SERUM

Where do I start with this one. I have used a LOT of serums. Applying makeup daily both to myself and others, a good serum is essential! There have been a lot of hit and miss serums in my time - like the time I spent €40 on a serum from Lancome only to have it dry and irritate all the skin around my eyes, or the serums that were so heavy my makeup melted off my face with the oiliness (I have dry skin). This serum is angelic! No other word could describe it adequately! 

I used this for 3 days as a primer underneath my makeup .. and wow! Not only was it lightweight and refreshing, it gave my skin a beautiful complexion which only served to benefit my makeup application more! Not only did it benefit my skin and application but it also increased the longevity of my foundation!

PRICE RANGE: €40+ At in or around €44 this is the most expensive item in the Sonya range but if you are willing to go out and spend €50+ on a serum from MAC that is HALF the size of this one you should at least call Sara and give this a try first!
WOULD I BUY IT? YES YES YES YES YES
WOULD I RECOMMEND IT? TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE THAT WILL LISTEN!

Nothing else seems important now after that one .. does it? ;)


SONYA ALOE BALANCING CREAM

I used this product daily during my trial as a moisturiser under my foundation. This was really beautiful but nothing too dissimilar to moisturisers I have tried out from other high street brands. The only difference I felt in this one was that it was non-oily and incredibly moisturising. I do think that there is more benefit however in using this kit as a set. So I can't say for sure if I felt an effect from this moisturiser alone or simply the benefits of using a combination of all of the products in the skincare kit. 

PRICE RANGE: €35+
WOULD I BUY IT? Yes. At around €30 you are getting 2.5oz of product which is a lot of product for the price. Most high street moisturisers will come in at this price with half the product and half the benefits.
WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT? Yes.


SONYA ALOE DEEP MOISTURISING CREAM

I tried this cream out daily and mainly used it as night cream. Again, after completing all of the steps in my nightly routine, I found this product to be extremely nourishing and moisturising AND I didn't wake up with a crazy oily face!

I'm not sure if that is just a reaction that I have to night creams? But I always wake up with an oily face the morning after applying a night cream - so for that reason I tend to avoid them.

One benefit of using this cream, is the fact that one of its ingredients is Pine Bark extract - which has long lasting benefits and is known to restore the skins natural collagen and elasticity. 

PRICE RANGE: €30+
WOULD I BUY IT? Yes.
WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT? Yes.


SONYA ALOE REFRESHING TONER

Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to try out the toner, but Sara was kind enough to give me some great tips. Add a spritzer connection / pour the toner into a spritzer bottle and ensure you use it with damp cotton wool to ensure gentle application to the skin. 


So that's pretty much it for everything I tried from the Forever Living Forever Aloe products range. I have to say - overall I am really surprised at how much I really loved these products. Having previous knowledge of the many benefits of Aloe Vera I was still surprised at just how nourishing and moisturising my skin felt and because my skin felt good I felt good. I would just like to finish by saying a massive thank you to the beautiful Sara Nolan who was kind enough to let me try out the kit. 

If you would like more info on Forever Living products or if you are living in the Kildare / Dublin area and would like to try out some of the range for yourself you can contact Sara via her Facebook page by clicking here.

Signature photo Signature_zps98b94e16.png




** Please note that I was not in any way sponsored by Forever Living or it's affiliates for this piece. All of the opinions in this review are my own.


\

3 comments :

  1. I love that you are honest about whether you would buy or not :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! No chance I would recommend something if I didn't believe in the product! :)

      Delete
    2. Yes aloevera is great for skin. Not only removes pimples there are many skin products that are made from Aloe-vera.
      natural skin care products with aloe vera

      Delete