16 February 2015

DIY Lipstick Palette


Yesterday, I took a trip to our local Tiger store which for some of you who may not be familiar with the store - is a Danish owned discount store which has started to pop up all over Ireland. I absolutely love this store especially since it encourages crafting and has a great variety of crafting materials readily available. During my visit I found an acrylic storage case comprising of nine compartments with a removable lid. I had watched many videos on de-potting and melting down lipsticks before so naturally it was one the first things that came to mind when I seen this acrylic case.

The wells in the case I picked up do run a little on the large side for this project but at only €2 for a great quality acrylic case - I wasn't going to complain.

Today, I thought I would show you how you can create your own customised lipstick palette using the case I picked up and some of my favourite lipsticks. 




WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

- Acrylic case with individual compartments OR  you could upcycle some of your old metal eyeshadow pans
- A large metal spoon
- A lighter
- A candle
- A sharp knife
- A pallet knife or flat stick (like a coffee stirrer)
- Paper towel

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Clean and thoroughly dry your case.

2. Choose several lipsticks for your pallet.

3. Lay down some paper towel and position all of your materials. At this time you can also go ahead and light your candle.

4. Choose your first lipstick. Twist your lipstick out of the tube exposing all of the stick.

5. Cut the lipstick with your knife at the base and allow it to fall onto your spoon.

6. Hold your spoon roughly 1 1/2 to 2 inches above your candle flame and watch carefully as your lipstick begins to melt.

WARNING: DO NOT LET IT BOIL

7. Once your lipstick has fully melted, carefully pour it into one of the compartments.

8. Your spoon will be very very hot, so carefully wipe away the remaining lipstick residue and repeat!

9. Repeat steps 1 - 8 until all of your selected compartments have been filled.
I chose to leave one compartment empty so I can mix lipstick colours. 

10. Using a sharpie / stickers label your case lid so you can refer back to the brand and shade of your favourite lipsticks.

Let me know in the comment section if you tried out this quick and easy DIY and what some of your favourite lipstick shades are.

Have a great day!
Signature photo Signature_zps98b94e16.png

No comments :

Post a Comment