26 May 2015

Tutorial Tuesday | 1920's inspired Makeup Tutorial

It's that time of the week again!

Going forward I will have a little description and product list here for you guys as well as in the description bar of my videos on my channel!


This week I wanted to do a makeup look inspired by The Great Gatsby. I absolutely love pretty much any movie Baz Luhrmann has made and The Great Gatsby is no exception. Everything about that movie is just so beautiful and wonderful! The story, the music, the scenery, the costumes and of course the makeup!

I find myself drawn to something very beautiful and ethereal about the makeup application in this movie.. Every single aspect of the characters personality was adapted and projected wonderfully through the makeup application. Its almost as if the makeup artists have used makeup as a language to help move the story along which is so wonderfully impactive long after the film has ended.

If we look at Daisy's character for example, her makeup is soft and subtle. Her look and colour palette is very simplistic and feminine. The makeup team accentuated her flawless skin with a subtle brush of rosy blush and softly tinted pink lips. Her eye makeup is minimal and only serves to further drawn attention to her big gorgeous doe like eyes.


Then we have Catherine - who I took inspiration from for today's look. Catherine is Myrtle's Sister and shows up at Tom's secret apartment just in time for the party. While Catherine is aware of her sister's sordid affair she is quite happy to join in the fun and reap the benefits.


Catherine's looks exudes Hollywood movie star! Deep dark smokey eyes with a bold and brash wine toned lipstick, Catherine is confident and sultry. The complete opposite of dainty, innocent and seemingly fragile Daisy Buchanan.

For today's look the main focus for me was the eyes. I wanted to capture that smokey, mysterious yet sultry look that the makeup team had achieved. I accentuated a green eyeshadow with warm brown and grey tones to smoke out the look. I topped that off with some black eyeliner on my water line, a few generous coats of mascara and a beautiful pair of false lashes.


For the lips - I opted for a red lipstick as opposed to the wine shade Catherine wears in the movie. This was purely my personal preference. I absolutely fell in l love with the lip shape I created for this look - I even asked my husband if it would suit me to wear out on a normal basis! I even made a comparison image to show the difference between wearing this lip colour on my normal lip shape as opposed to the bowed lip shape I created today. What do you think?


Get the look!


PRODUCT LIST
Here is a full list of all the products I used for today's tutorial. Remember all of these products cans be substituted.

FACE
Boots Botanics Moisturising Day Cream
Forever Aloe Sonya Nourishing Serum
Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse -
Kat Von D Tattoo Concealer - Light

EYES
Urban Decay Primer Potion - Original
"Warm Brown" - Urban Decay Vice 3 Palette - Downfall
"Green Shade" - Urban Decay Vice palette - Junkie
"Grey Shade" Urban Decay Vice palette - Desperation
"Black" Urban Decay Vice 3 palette - Revolver
"Soft Brown" Urban Decay Vice 3 palette - Undone
Urban Decay Mascara - Perversion
Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner - Perversion

BROWS
MAC Charcoal Brown

LIPS
Barry M lipliner - Red
NYX Lip Smacking Fun Colours lipstick - Electra


Next Weeks Tutorial: No Makeup Makeup
Signature photo Signature_zps98b94e16.png

No comments :

Post a Comment