22 June 2015

First Impressions | Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation

I've been on the lookout for a new foundation for some time. My current go to is my all time favourite Revlon Colorstay in the shade Nude. I have repurchased and used the same foundation for the past three years and I thought it was about time to see what else was on the market.


I had heard great things about Rimmel's Wake Me Up Foundation, and I was definitely looking for something with a flawless dewy finish. 

I was browsing the stands in Boots the other day, and this particular foundation was on offer, so I decided to give it a shot. After browsing some reviews and determining there were more positive then negative ones, I was eager to try it out. 

The first thing I noticed is that the colour range for this foundation is incredibly limited. I found the ivory shade was too yellow toned for my skin and opted for the lightest shade - Light Porcelain, with the intention to warm it up using a combination of contour and bronzer powders. 
A swatch of Light Porcelain.
This is a creamy consistency liquid foundation, and I applied it as I normally do, by applying two pumps to the back of my hand and buffing it into my skin with my Real Technique buffing brush. I was surprised to find this foundation not only clinging to dry patches on my face, but also not very effective at covering my redness. It also settled in my pores and all in all looked very cakey. 


I should mention that I toned, moisturised and primed my face using my Sonya Serum before applying this foundation. It did not really seem to make a difference. 

I followed the same steps this morning and was able to achieve slightly better coverage but the foundation still seemed a bit cakey around my nose and forehead. To combat this, I applied a sheer coat of foundation and then followed it up with my Lasting Perfection concealer by Collection, which I buffed into my skin with a damp Real Techniques sponge. This seemed to work well in preventing the foundation from looking too heavy or cakey, and I was able to get nicer coverage of my redness and blemishes. 

It does photograph nicely, as you may notice none of the photo's I have taken have a filter. I feel like I had to work very hard to achieve the finished look however. Blending, buffing, concealer, removing in places and reapplying. I'm not quite sure if it is worth the effort, despite the price. 

After four hours of wearing, my makeup appears to already be breaking down. It was a little warm out today but not enough to cause the foundation to break down so fast.

I won't lie, I am a little disappointed as I had high expectations for this foundation, but my skin does take some adjusting from time to time to using new foundations. I will continue to use it this week and see if I can find a way to apply it that I like. Hopefully by the end of the week my skin will adapt a little better and I will start to see some of the benefits that I read about. 
Signature photo Signature_zps98b94e16.png

No comments :

Post a Comment