29 June 2015

Rimmel Wake Me Up VS Revlon Colorstay

Last week, I blogged about a foundation I was looking forward to trying out which was Wake Me Up by Rimmel. You can read that post here.

After a week of using the foundation, I've decided it's just really not for me and I've gone back to my trusty Revlon Colorstay.


FORMULA

Rimmel Wake Me Up
This foundation is a light weight formula, light on the skin, with light reflecting particles designed to give the skin a radiant and fresh glow. My main problem with this foundation is that I just could not get it to work on my dry skin.

Revlon Colorstay
A lightweight foundation available in two formulas. One for normal to dry skin and the other in oily to combination. This makes this an incredibly versatile foundation and one of my firm favourites. 


COLOR OPTIONS

Rimmel Wake Me Up
The colour range for this foundation is incredibly limited. Available in six shades:
True Nude, Ivory, True Ivory, Soft Beige, Classic Beige and Natural Beige. 
The shade I picked up is called Light Porcelain and does not seem to be available online. I found this shade too light for my skin, while the next shade up True Nude was too dark.

Screenshot from Boots.ie website. Prices and offers are subject to change.
Revlon Colorstay
This is available in two formula types as I mentioned above and also in a massive selection of twelve shades, which is quite impressive for a drug store foundation. So not only have you a massive range of colours to choose from but you also have the added benefit of being able to select a formula that will suit your skin type.


Screenshot from Boots.ie website. Prices and offers subject to change.


WEARABILITY / LONGEVITY

Rimmel Wake Me Up
I applied this foundation as per my normal routine. Moisturiser, primer, foundation and a light dusting of a translucent setting powder. 

While the formula was nice and light, it was also incredibly cakey on my dry skin. It clung to my dry patches and was incredibly hard to even out.

It also has a very dewy finish, which will be great for fans of the latest beauty trend known as "strobing" but for my bumpy, acne prone skin, it really does nothing but accentuate my blemishes more. 

In terms of longevity, the product began to break down after only a few hours of wearing it, and I also found that it transferred very easily despite the kind of setting powder I used. 
L-R: Rimmel Wake Me Up "Light Porcelain" | Half Face Application | Visible Pores | Transfers Easily
Revlon Colorstay
As mentioned before this has been my go to foundation for a few years, so I may be a little biased in my opinions. Either way, this is by far my favourite foundation.

A little goes a long way. It applies evenly with a nice finish. There is little to no transfer noticeable and it does a great job of covering my redness and blemishes. An added bonus, it lasts me pretty much all day with little to no breakdown.

Revlon Colorstay "Buff" | Half Face Application | No visible pores (my acne is bad right now) | Held up well Transfer test

PRICE

Rimmel Wake Me Up
€10.99

Revlon Colorstay
€17.79

VERDICT

While I initially thought Rimmel Wake Me Up would be a great foundation for those with oilier skin, a few people have told me it inhibits the oiliness more then helps it. The iridescent pigment in the products is also another big no no for people like myself who have bumps, blemishes and acne scarring. I am however, glad that I tried it out. This foundation may be perfect for some people, but certainly not a winner for me.

Revlon Colorstay wins hands down on this one, the larger colour and formula range makes it much more versatile product. Despite the price, a little really does go a long way. It's a full coverage build able and hydrating foundation. The only flaw is the packaging. Perhaps a pump bottle would convince more people to give this foundation a chance.

What is your favourite foundation?
Signature photo Signature_zps98b94e16.png

*This is not a sponsored post. All opinions are my own based on products that I have purchased.

2 comments :

  1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who had trouble with this foundation! The shade range is terrible and I found that it clung to my dry patches also. Have been tempted to try out Revlon Colourstay for a few years now and never got round to it. Definitely going to have a go after reading all the great things you had to say about it! :)
    Great comparison post xx
    http://ismiseniamh.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much Niamh! :) I tried really hard to like it, especially after reading so many "rave" reviews, but I just couldn't get it to work out for me.

      Revlon Colorstay has always been my favourite, even though its a little pricier. If you haven't tried it before, try asking for a small sample so you can try before you buy. I find the guys in Boots are usually quite accommodating and that way you won't end up forking out almost €20 and hating it! I would love to hear what you think about it! :D

      Best of luck and thanks so much again! Looking forward to seeing more from your blog too :) xx

      Delete