27 July 2015

Mini Craft Haul | Tiger Stores

Apologies for the lack of posting the past few days. We've had a lot of personal losses in our family the past week, and as always I want to make sure I give you guys the best quality posts I can. Last week, I was feeling very uninspired, but this week started off with some fantastic news which I will share with you soon. So back to the drawing board ... 


Today I wanted to share a quick mini craft haul with you guys, as well as a little about why I purchased each of these items. 

Lets start with where I picked these items up. We have a wonderful little store here in Ireland called Tiger. While we do have several craft stores here such as Inspiring Ideas, Art and Hobby and Hickeys, Tiger offers a much more unique range of own brand products at much more affordable prices. I generally source the majority of my craft supplies from either Hickeys or Tiger. 

The first thing I picked up was some cable needles. For those of you not familiar with knitting jargon, cabling is a process where by you suspend a certain number of stitches in your knitting pattern, knit as normal and then knit your suspended stitches back into your design. The idea is to create a twist in your design which will become a braided, textured pattern. 


I started knitting again for the first time in a few years a couple of weeks ago. I started with a fairly complicated pattern to create some Claire Fraser inspired gloves, and the one thing I was missing for the pattern was some cable needles. While I was able to finish the pattern without them, I do find them a little easier and quicker to work with. 

The set I got came with three different sized cable needles as pictured above. It was fairly inexpensive, at around €2 maybe €3. Unfortunately I discarded the packaging and receipt before I decided to do a mini haul. This unfortunately also means, I don't have the correct sizes of the needles, however I'm pretty sure they are 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5mm needles respectively. 

The Outlander inspired wrist / arm warmers that I knitted without a cable needle last week.
The cable pattern is the Celtic knot braided part around the hand.
The cable needles I picked up will be much easier and quicker for creating the intricate design. 
Another knitting staple I picked up was these bamboo knitting needles. 


I used a 5.5mm needle to knit the wrist warmers, but I needed something larger to create a wider and thicker design such as the teal headband in the first picture. These 6.5mm bamboo needles are wonderful to work with and only cost €2. Unlike standard plastic needles, the stitches hold on to the wood much better with less risk of losing stitches by accident. 

Moving away from knitting the next thing I picked up was a hobby knife. I've wanted to get one of these for a long time. They are great for creating stencils or intricate card designs. I pretty much have been enjoying all kinds of crafting lately, and regardless of the fact that my wedding was over three years ago, I actually have a lot of plain card and other materials left over from our DIY projects. I thought it might be fun to look up some nice designs and start making my own handcrafted cards. The hobby knife included 6 replacement blades and cost me €2. 


Of course given that I am planning on doing some precision cutting, I also needed to invest in a decent cutting mat. I did have one saved in my Amazon cart for a long time, but we came across one in Tiger and decided it would be a lot less hassle and much of a muchness really to grab this one.


This is a pretty dense mat. It appears to be a plastic form with a foam centre and both sides are printed with cutting guidelines. I have yet to test it out to see if it is a self healing mat, nevertheless it set us back a mere €7 and will come in handy for a wide variety of projects.

Everything we picked up came to €14 in total, which makes me a very happy craft hoarder. I look forward to sharing more about some of the projects I have completed with these items over the next few weeks. 

The last thing I wanted to share with you which is in essence one of the bonus quirky features about shopping at Tiger stores, is that they print cute little trivia / thought provoking statements on their packaging - such as this one on the back of the hobby knife:


If you would like any more posts about knitting or have a specific craft request, feel free to contact me. 
Signature photo Signature_zps98b94e16.png

*This is not a sponsored post. All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment :

  1. I love Tiger. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to walk into one and come out empty handed! You should knit a pair for a giveaway that would be awesome! Oh wait I have a better idea ill mail you!!

    ReplyDelete