1 October 2015

October Inspiration - Tranquility | Mood Board

This months mood board is all about TRANQUILITY.


Today marks 6 weeks since I underwent surgery on my right foot. Over the past two weeks I have slowly encouraged myself to weight bear and each day I push myself a little bit further to walk. I was over the moon last week when I finally put my first PAIR of shoes on in over 22 months! It truly was an incredible feeling to be able to wear two shoes again. 

However, I have been feeling that all too familiar pang of anxiety creep up on me as I began to realise that this journey will be a lot harder than I expected. I may be able to wear two shoes, but being able to walk without pain and without crutches is my real goal. 

Although I feel like I can rest a little easier now that my recovery process has begun, I still have a lot of work to do and a long way to go. So when the anxiety pangs creep in, it is important for me to be able to take a step back (pardon the pun) and find tranquillity within myself. As corny as it sounds, it is incredibly important to take a break each day, forget the world, forget your troubles and live in the moment for a few brief minutes. 

My first pin this month shows an autumn leaf covered walkway with a bench alongside it. 
  • This serves to remind me that although it is a good thing to be excited about walking again, it is also important to rest. This applies to everyday life too. We all get so overwhelmed by the pressure of life that sometimes we forget how important it is to take a break and rejuvenate every now and again. 
Hello October!
  • I'll be honest, I had a lot planned for this year and working on recovery coming into Autumn was not one of them. I had imagined I would have been much further along at this stage, but at the same time - I'm also happy that I'm working on getting myself healthy again now. I love Autumn months, I love the ambiance, the weather, the cosiness. It will certainly keep me sane.

Tranquillity
  • As I mentioned I have been feeling so overwhelmed by anxiety and worry about my future lately, that I have been trying to take some time each day to find balance and encourage myself to stay positive. One way I have been doing this is oddly enough through the use of an app called "Calm". 
Click the image to be brought to the site
I first came across this app through a tv advertisement and was instantly intrigued. You simply pop in your headphones and select from the options to take your meditation break. Not only has it been helping me manage pain and fatigue, but I generally feel more positive and energised during the day - simply by selecting to do a 5 or 10 minute session. As you can see you can also choose to do a session from their desktop site too. It is a subscription service for those wanting to unlock certain features, but for the most part the free meditation breaks are pretty effective in themselves.

Cosy Socks
  • This pin encourages me to remain true to my creative side. As well as using the app mentioned above , another extremely effective way I have been managing anxiety is through crafting and in particular knitting. I have found creative distractions to be incredibly effective in helping not just my recovery but my motivation as well. 
Lamp Light
  • One of my favourite things about Autumn is the darker evenings. My favourite time to take a walk is twilight simply because everything is so peaceful and (for lack of better word) tranquil. Most people are just returning from work, the hustle and bustle of the day is over. You can wander and feel at peace with yourself without people rushing about their lives all around you. It saddens me sometimes to see how everyone seems to be in "hurry". 
Domestic Bliss
  • With my stamina and ability to stand improving each day, one thing I have been really enjoying and look forward to doing more of during the month of October is taking care of my home. Baking, organising, decorating for the month ahead. I love having my home themed for the season as you will see by my "Autumn Essentials" post this past week. I really feel like encouraging creativity in the home and being mindful of the seasons will help me to become more thankful for the here and now. 

What do you do to encourage tranquility both within yourself and your home? Do you take a few minutes each day for you? Is it something you think you would like to focus on in the future? Let me know in the comments.
Signature photo Signature_zps98b94e16.png

No comments :

Post a Comment