20 November 2015

My Happy Place | Mind Yourself


Walking releases a calm in me unlike any other. For their 'Mind Yourself' campaign, Independent.ie has asked me to discuss my happy place.

For some people a happy place is a good book, curling up to a movie in front of a cosy fire or a long walk on the beach. My happy place is a calming walk to a little hilltop located in the grounds of Carton Estate, just on the outskirts of Maynooth town.


I can't explain the emotional connection I have to this place. All I can say is that once there I feel like nothing else in the whole world matters. Living in the fast moving world of today, it is easy to become overwhelmed. Fear, anxiety and stress are all too familiar battles many of us encounter day in day out. Out on that little hilltop, I would often sit in silence - submerging myself in the sounds of nature, far from the hustle and bustle of the town below. Instantly I would feel at ease and relish that moment to simply exist. 


For almost two years, I was deprived of my ability to walk to that little hilltop due to a debilitating joint disease. Now more than ever, as I continue on my journey to recovery post surgery, I have begun to understand and immensely appreciate the existence of such a simple thing.

A happy place, be it imaginary or physical is a wonderful escape from the constraints and anxieties that come with everyday life. For me 'happiness isn't a destination, it's a journey'.



Signature photo Signature_zps98b94e16.png

No comments :

Post a Comment