7 February 2016

Recipe | Fluffy American Pancakes


Pancake Tuesday is upon us and what better way to start the blogging week off than by sharing my favourite pancake recipe with you!


I'm not even kidding when I say that it has taken me YEARS to perfect this recipe! I have searched through books, websites, blogs and nothing ever seems to turn out just right! I put this mostly down to the fact that a lot of these recipes were from American sites, and of course there are slight differences in our ingredients here in Ireland which can either make or break a recipe. 

After many trial and error attempts, countless botched pancakes in the bin and heavy stodgy pancakes in our tummies - I am convinced that I have finally found what I feel is the solution to perfect fluffy American style pancakes! 

If you would like to learn how to make them, keep on reading! 

YOU WILL ALSO NEED:

  • a mixing bowl
  • an electric whisk
  • a mixing spatula or wooden spoon 
  • measuring cups (1 cup measurement and 1/4 cup measurement)
  • flat based frying pan
  • a spatula for turning your pancakes
  • some tasty toppings


METHOD


1. 
Crack your eggs into your mixing bowl, and using your electric mixer - beat until light and foamy. Once mixed transfer to a smaller bowl or grab a spare mixing bowl.

2. 
In the bowl add your flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix your dry ingredients together.

3.
With your dry ingredients now combined, make a well in the centre and pour in your beaten eggs, vanilla extract and half the milk. Mix well until everything is nicely combined. 

TIP: Don't be overly fussy about some small lumps here and there as over mixing your pancake batter can actually effect how well they will rise during cooking. 

4.
Turn your pan on over a medium heat and add your butter. Allow the butter to melt for a few seconds and remove from heat to cool for a minute.

Add melted butter to the batter and mix well. 

TIP: No need to grease your pan since the residual butter left over will have already done it for you! You should get between 4 and 6 pancakes without the need for adding any more! If you do need to add more butter, I suggest using a paper towel to grease your pan or a pastry brush as adding too much butter can make your pancakes greasy. 

5.
At this point if your batter is too thick, you can go ahead and add a little bit more milk at a time until it has reached your desired consistency. I always end up using around 3/4 cup of milk, but depending on mystical factors that I have no explanation for (haha) sometimes you may need less or more! 

6.
I like my pancakes to be all roughly the same size, so to achieve this I normally use my 1/4 cup measurement. You can of course use larger cups, depending on how big you want your pancakes. 

Scoop out the batter and dollop in the centre of your heated pan using the cup to even the batter out as it begins to cook. I find dabbing motions works best. 

7.
Cook your pancakes for roughly one minute either side, or until golden brown. 

My favourite thing about cooking these pancakes is watching them expand and rise in the pan! 

TIP: If you want to eat them straight away and still keep them warm, place them in a deep bottomed dish (like a pasta or soup dish) and keep covered with a large pan lid. This will retain the heat and keep the pancakes soft and toasty! I find keeping them warm in the oven can dry them out or overcook them! 

8. 
Stack your pancakes, add your favourite toppings and enjoy! 


I have my wonderful friend Debi to thank for my giant bottle of maple syrup you can see in the pictures! Yummy! 


Happy cooking! 
Signature photo Signature_zps98b94e16.png

No comments :

Post a Comment